Conditions for Eligibility
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien who paid for funeral expenses after January 20, 2020, for an individual in the U.S. and was caused by or was likely a result of COVID-19.
- Open to all who qualify regardless of income and death must have occurred in US, including territories.
What Documentation is Needed?
- Official death certificate that must attribute death directly or indirectly to COVID-19
- Funeral expense documents (receipts, funeral home contract, etc.) o Must include applicant’s name, deceased person’s name, the amount of funeral expenses and the dates at which the expenses happened
- Proof of funds received from other sources specifically towards funeral costs o They cannot duplicate benefits from burial or funeral insurance, financial assistance from voluntary agencies, government agencies or other sources.
What Information is Needed?
- Social Security number and date of birth for the applicant and the deceased individual
- Current mailing address and current phone number for the applicant
- Location or address where the deceased individual passed away
- Information about burial or funeral insurance policies
- Information about other funeral assistance received, such as donations and CARES Act grants and assistance from voluntary organizations
- Routing and account number of the applicant’s checking or savings account
What is Covered?
- Transportation for up to two individuals to identify the deceased individual
- Transfer of remains, casket or urn, and burial plot or cremation niche
- Marker or headstone, clergy or officiant services and arrangement of the funeral ceremony
- Use of funeral home equipment or staff and Cremation or interment costs
- Costs associated with producing and certifying multiple death certificates
- Additional expenses mandated by any applicable government laws or ordinances
- Assistance is limited to a maximum of $9,000 per funeral and a maximum of $35,500 per application per state
How to Apply?
- This application is call in only and the call will only take 20 minutes.
- The COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Line Number is: 844-684-6333 | TTY: 800-462-7585
- Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Time
- There is currently no expiration on this resource and online resource can be found here or here is an applicant friendly infographic
Information Video from FEMA
Disclaimer: This resource comes as a courtesy from ASNCM. You are hereby notified that Aging Services of North Central MA does not recommend, guarantee, or assume liability for the performance or lack thereof, for any of the resources listed.
Compiled by the Information & Referral at Aging Services of North Central Massachusetts. (Updated annually 5/2021; revised 5/2021)