1. Home
  2. Housing and Shelters
  3. 811 Project Rental Assistance

811 Project Rental Assistance

What is 811 Project Rental Assistance (811 PRA)?

  • 811 PRA is a rental assistance program for low income homeless or at risk of homelessness individuals who also qualify for Home and Community-Based Waiver.
  • The tenant is expected to contribute for rent and utilities. The Total Tenant Payment or TTP is based on family’s income. Other than the TTP, rent and potentially utilities will be covered by the rental assistance
  • Calculation of TTP is the greater of the following:
    • 30% of monthly adjusted income
    • 10% of monthly gross income
    • Welfare rent (welfare recipients in as-paid localities only)
    • $25 minimum rent

Only applicants who meet the eligibility criteria will be placed on a wait list. To be eligible, the applicant MUST:

  • Between 18-61 and be eligible for MassHealth Standard or CommonHealth
  • Have a gross household income of no more than 30% of the Area Median Income (detailed income limits may be found on HUD’s website).

Applicants must be in an institution, at risk of institutionalization, OR homeless.  Additionally, applicants MUST meet one of the following eligibility categories:

  • Home and Community-Based Services Waiver. Examples of the Waiver are the MFP-Community Living waiver, Frail Elder waiver, DDS-Community Living waiver, or the Acquired Brain Injury OR
  • Are homeless or At Risk of Institutionalization and receive services through DDS, DMH, CPSPECH or certain MRC Community Living services such as SHIP, Waiver, Home Care. Homeless is defined as: a household lacking a fixed nighttime residence or living in a place not meant for human habitation, emergency shelter, or transitional housing.

A complete application will include:

  • 811 Referral Form
  • Core Documents (required for all household members – please reach out if document is unavailable for an alternative):
    • Photo Identification, Social Security Card, and Birth Certificate
    • Income statement dated within the last 60 days (including social security state supplement if applicable)
    • Asset statements for the last 6 months
  • Rental Application
  • HUD form 9887
  • HUD form 92006
  • Live in Aide Verification (if applicable)
  • Reasonable Accommodation request (if applicable)
  • Mitigation Documents (if applicable)
  • CBH certificate on application from an 811 PRA certified individual

Disclaimer: This resource comes as a courtesy from ASNCM.  You are hereby notified that Aging Services of North Central Massachusetts does not recommend, guarantee, or assume liability for the performance or lack thereof, for any of the resources listed.

Compiled by the Information & Referral at Aging Services of North Central Massachusetts. (Updated annually 5/2021; revised 5/2021)

Updated on October 25, 2021

Article Attachments

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles