Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- LIHEAP assists individuals and families with the cost of heating.
- Eligibility is based on gross annual income of every household member. Household income cannot exceed 60% of estimated state median income.
- Households can apply from November 1st to April 30th of the program year.
- Applicants must call (978) 342-4520 to make an appointment with the New England Farm Workers’ Council, Inc. and apply in person for the first year.
- For more information: partnersforcommunity.org/
- After the first year the application will be mailed.
- New England Farm Workers’ Council, Inc.
- 473 Main St., 3rd floor Fitchburg, MA 01420
Massachusetts Good Neighbor Energy Fund
- The Massachusetts Good Neighbor Energy Fund is available to any Massachusetts resident who, because of temporary financial difficulty, cannot meet a month’s energy expense and is not eligible for state or federal energy assistance.
- Income must fall between 60 and 80 percent of the state’s median income levels.
- You may apply for assistance by directly contacting your local Salvation Army Corps Community Center or Service Extension Unit. For North Central MA it would be:
- Fitchburg/Montachusett Corps ph. (978) 342-3300 fax: (978) 345-4155
- 739 Water Street, Fitchburg, MA 01420-6749
Making Opportunity Count (MOC)
- MOC sometimes has limited funding available to families who need supplemental fuel and/or rent assistance after they have exhausted all of their federally funded Fuel Assistance Benefits.
- To qualify, you must have applied for, received, and exhausted all Fuel Assistance Benefits. You must also be low-income, and your rent payment must be 50% or less of your monthly income. Eligibility varies by funding source.
- If you need assistance, please contact MOC at 978-345-7040
Hearts for Heat
- Hearts for Heat provides fuel assistance for after someone has already applied for LIHEAP.
- The application process includes asset assessment, income, and major monthly expenses.
- This application also allows for explanation and assistance is given on a case-by-case basis.
- Application can be found at heatsforheat.org and mailed into Hearts for Heat, PO Box 434, Princeton, MA 01541.
- Mass Save offers energy efficiency services based on household income at low or no cost.
- They will do an initial no cost energy assessment to assess whether new energy efficient appliances and weather proofing is available.
- Mass Save also offers rebates on residential appliances, heating systems and more.
- The Mass Save® HEAT Loan offers interest-free financing opportunities up to $25,000 for energy-efficient home upgrades like heating and water heating equipment, central A/C and heat pumps, insulation and more.
Gardner Community Action Committee
- In previous years, Gardner CAC has had funding donated and earmarked for fuel assistance. This fuel assistance is available for people who have already exhausted other funding options.
- The CAC will provide one time assistance in urgent situations. Please call to check if they have funding available at 978-632-8700