1. Home
  2. Fuel Assistance
  3. Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (Fuel Assistance)

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (Fuel Assistance)

What is the Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)?

  • LIHEAP provides eligible households with help in paying a portion of winter heating bills
  • There is no fee to apply and free help is available to complete applications at New England Farm Workers’ Council, Inc. (NEFWC)
  • It is a federally funded program to assist low income and elderly households with their winter HEATING bills.
  • Eligibility is determined on the basis of a household’s gross income (before deductions) and size.  Proof of income for all household members must be provided for not less than 30 continuous days (4 weeks) prior to application

How long does the program run?

  • Applications will be taken November 1, 2021 through April 30, 2022  for households applying for the first time. 
  • Applications for households eligible for Fuel Assistance last winter will be mailed in August/September

Income Guidelines

Household Size Income Limit Household Size Income Limit
1 $40,951 6 $103,951
2 $53,551 7 $106,314
3 $66,151 8 $108,686
4 $78,751 9 $111,039
5 $91,351 10 $113,401

Who may apply?

  • Homeowners and renters who pay for their own heating costs.
  • Renters whose heat is included in their rent.
  • Renters in public and/or private subsidized housing who pay for their own heat and utilities and do not receive a heat/utility allowance.
  • SOME RENTERS in public and/or private subsidized housing who heat is included in their rent might be eligible depending on the type of housing subsidy and category of rent.

How and where to apply?

  • Applications are taken by APPOINTMENT only.
  • Appointments may be scheduled by calling 978-342-4520 between the hours of 9:00am-4:00pm Monday through Friday or by using the appointment scheduling link here
  •  Only first-time applicants should schedule appointments to apply in person.  Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, our offices are closed to the public.  Application intake for first time participants is currently being done by phone.

What should someone bring when they apply?

  1. Picture ID
  2. Proof of Address
  3. Social Security cards & birth certificates for all household members
  4. Proof of Citizenship/Qualified Alien Status
  5. Proof of Income for all household members
  6. Gas & Electric bills (and name of dealer if oil/kerosene/propane)
  7. Renters should bring the tenant/landlord information sheet
  8. Renters receiving a subsidy must bring a copy of the recertification housing sheet or letter from the housing authority.

Required types of income documentation?

  • Wages (4 most recent pay stubs)
  • Welfare, Social Security, SSI, VA, Workers’ Comp, Pensions (copy of most recent check/stub)
  • Unemployment (copy of DUA claim record)
  • Alimony/Child Support (copy of checks, divorce decree, court order, DOR print out)
  • Bank Interest, Dividends (statement from bank, copies of checks, tax forms)
  • Rental Income (mortgage interest, property tax, water/sewer, insurance, proof of rent received)
  • Self Employment (copy of Federal Tax Return from previous year)

Disclaimer: This resource comes as a courtesy from ASNCM.  You are hereby notified that Aging Services of North Central Massachusetts does not recommend, guarantee, or assume liability for the performance or lack thereof, for any of the resources listed.

Compiled by the Information & Referral at Aging Services of North Central Massachusetts. (Updated annually 9/2021; revised 9/2021)

Updated on October 25, 2021

Article Attachments

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles