ADA Eligible Paratransit Service is only available to transportation disabled individuals. Service is provided by lift-equipped vans and is available in the areas that MART provides fixed route bus service.
The ADA Para-transit Service Program:
- This is for disabled individuals who cannot use the regular MART bus for some or all of their trips
- This service is an origin to destination service for ADA eligible customers
- This program operates on the same days of the week and hours as the regular fixed route bus
- Provides a service that is comparable in time to the regular fixed route bus. This is a shared ride service.
- Most towns are available 5:30 AM- 6:30 PM
- ADA covers these whole cities: Fitchburg, Leominster, Athol, and Gardner. Lunenburg, Winchendon, Templeton, Phillipston, Lancaster and Westminster are restricted to ¾ mile boundary around each of MART’s fixed bus routes.
- Costs, intertown rides available and hours can be found below or at http://www.mrta.us/services/ada-van-service/ada-program-description
Under the ADA regulations, there are three categories of persons who are eligible for ADA Paratransit Service: Any individual with a disability qualifies who:
- Is unable as a result of physical or mental impairment, to get on, ride, or get off an accessible vehicle on the public transit system: or
- Needs the assistance of a wheelchair lift or other boarding assistance device and is able, with such assistance to get on, ride and get off an accessible vehicle, but such vehicle is not available on the route when the individual want to travel; or
- Has specific impairment-related condition including vision, hearing or impairments causing disorientation which prevents travel to or from a station or stop on the system.
Eligibility and Applying
- Permanent – Individuals must complete the MART ADA Eligible Paratransit Application including medical certification of transportation. Re-certification takes place every 48 months for individuals with a permanent disability. Application found at http://www.mrta.us/sites/default/files/pdf/ADA%20APPLICATION%20FINAL%20May%202017.pdf
- Temporary – Individuals with a temporary disability may be determined eligible for a period of time as designated by their doctor but not to exceed one year. Re-certification will take place every 12 months.
- Visitors – Visitors to the MART area who represent themselves to be transportation disabled and present proof of legal residence will be presumed eligible and may receive service for 21 days. If an individual has been certified as “ADA Paratransit Eligible” by another public entity, that certification will be honored up to 21 days.
- MART has 21 days following the submission of a complete application, to process the application. If MART has not made a determination of eligibility after 21 days, the applicant shall be treated as eligible, and MART will provide service until a determination of eligibility or denial is made.
ADA Paratransit Towns and Fees
|SERVICE AREA||HOURS OF SERVICE||COST|
|Fitchburg/ Leominster/ Lunenburg/ Lancaster||5:00 am to 7:30 pm||9:00 am to 6:30pm||$2.00 per trip|
|Westminster TO Fitchburg/
Leominster/ Lunenburg/ Lancaster
|6:00am to 7:15pm||NO SERVICE||$2.00 per trip|
|Fitchburg/ Leominster/ Lunenburg/ Lancaster TO Westminster||6:00am to 7:15pm||NO SERVICE||$2.00 per trip|
|Gardner||6:00 am to 6:30 pm||9:00 am to 5:00 pm||$2.00 per trip|
|Gardner TO Fitchburg/ Leominster/ Lunenburg/ Lancaster||6:00am to 7:15pm||NO SERVICE||$4.00 per trip|
|Fitchburg/ Leominster/ Lunenburg/ Lancaster TO Gardner||6:00am to 7:15pm||NO SERVICE||$4.00 per trip|
|Westminster||6:00 am to 4:30 pm||NO SERVICE||$2.00 per trip|
|Westminster to/from Gardner||6:00am to 7:15pm||NO SERVICE||$2.00 per trip|
|Winchendon to/from Gardner/Templeton||6:00 am to 9:00 am and**
11:30am to 4:00pm
**No Service 9:00 am to 11:30 am**
|NO SERVICE||$4.00 per trip|
|Winchendon||6:00 am to 9:00 am and**
11:30am to 4:00pm
**No Service 9:00 am to 11:30 am**
|NO SERVICE||$2.00 per trip|
|Templeton to/From Athol||5:30 am- 6:30 pm||NO SERVICE||$4.00 per trip|
|Templeton to/from Gardner||5:30 am- 6:30 pm||NO SERVICE||$4.00 per trip|
|Templeton to Phillipston||5:30 am- 6:30 pm||NO SERVICE||$4.00 per trip|
|Templeton||5:30 am- 6:30 pm||NO SERVICE||$2.00 per trip|
|Athol to Gardner||5:30 am- 6:30 pm||NO SERVICE||$4.00 per trip|
|Gardner to Athol||5:30 am- 6:30 pm||NO SERVICE||$4.00 per trip|
|Athol to/from Athol/Orange||5:30 am- 6:30 pm||NO SERVICE||$1.50 per trip|
|Phillipston to Templeton||5:30 am- 6:30 pm||NO SERVICE||$4.00 per trip|
|Phillipston to/from Gardner||5:30 am- 6:30 pm||NO SERVICE||$4.00 per trip|
|Phillipston to/From Athol||5:30 am- 6:30 pm||NO SERVICE||$4.00 per trip|
|Phillipston||5:30 am- 6:30 pm||NO SERVICE||$2.00 per trip|
Disclaimer: This resource comes as a courtesy from ASNCM. You are hereby notified that Aging Services of North Central Massachusetts does not recommend, guarantee, or assume liability for the performance or lack thereof, for any of the resources listed. Compiled by the Information & Referral at Aging Services of North Central Massachusetts. (Updated annually 6/2021; revised 6/2021)